- Pick the map for the region
- Look up the street names in the index
- Go to the indicated page number and/or grid number
- Find the street in the grid and trace it to your desired location
- Repeat for the other point of interest and connect the dots
It seems, however, that not everyone can read maps anymore...
For the record, I usually use non-GPS-based computer mapping programs, but often like to retrace the route on paper and build my own alternate routes based on that. I do not own a GPS navigator (yet).